First Aid in Mental Health Course Overview
First Aid in Mental Health aims to equip the individual to recognize common mental health problems, provide initial support and guide the person towards appropriate professional help.
SERA’s First Aid in Mental Health course focuses on common groups of disorders among the adult community. These are Major Depressive Disorders, Anxiety Disorders and Mood Disorders.
This course is targeted at individuals without prior knowledge of mental health issues.
Mode: Blended learning (Online Learning + 4-hour Live Webinar via Zoom)
Duration: Live Webinar (4-hours)
Course Fee: $280.00 bgst ($305.20 wgst)
Course Code: NA
Training Venue: NA (Conducted online)
Certification: Certificate of Attendance in Psychological First Aid, accredited by ACC Institute of Human Services, valid for 2 years from date of completion. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive an e-certificate via email.
For private corporate runs, the course can be conducted over a period of 2 days (16 contact hours) without elearning.
How To Register
View Upcoming First Aid in Mental Health Course Dates
By filling in your registration details and clicking the submit button, we will receive your registration details.
If your company is doing bulk registrations and sending participants for different course dates, email firstname.lastname@example.org for the bulk enrolment form instead and we will assist you accordingly.
Receive An Invoice
For individuals from government agencies or MOE schools, we can submit an e-invoice. Send an email to email@example.com with the name(s) of the participant(s) that you have registered, along with the e-invoicing instructions (such as department and sub-business unit).
For individuals from private organizations, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name(s) of the participant(s) that you have registered.
After receiving the participants’ registration information, SERA will send you the invoice for the amount payable.
Complete Your Online Learning Before Class
After registration and confirmation of payment method, participants will receive their online learning credentials 2-4 working days later. This will consist of readings, videos and quizzes. Please complete this before your scheduled 4-hour course.
Participants will receive the e-guidebook via email.
Request for Group/Corporate Training
SERA can conduct a private course run for your team if you have at least 8 participants. If the total class size exceeds 16, SERA can conduct multiple concurrent classes for your organisation. This can be conducted at your premises or ours.
If you have less than 8 participants, we can open a class on your preferred date (subject to availability), conducted at SERA’s premises, but will keep the class open for public registrations.
Upon filling in the form below, our team will be in touch with you to provide you the quotation.
Submit Your Enquiry Here
Psychological First Aid aims to provide you with basic knowledge and skills to help adults who are affected by the crisis in life. Crisis include man-made, natural and personal crisis can be overwhelming for an individual to cope. By applying Psychological First Aid skills, you will be able to support the individual through the crisis and refer them to professional help such as counsellors and psychologists.
First Aid in Mental Health aims to equip individuals with knowledge and skills to recognise individuals who may be going through Mental Health issues and provide immediate help. With early recognition and treatment, most will recover well and return to productive lives.
Peer Support Program focuses on equipping individuals with the knowledge and skills to support their peers during a crisis or who are suffering from mental health issues.
There is currently no funding available for this course.
There is currently no funding available for this course.
- HR personnel, managers and team leaders who handle crisis in the workplace
- Working adults who are keen to provide psychological support in the workplace
- Student Leaders in Secondary School / Junior College / Polytechnic / University
- Individuals who are keen to equip themselves to skills helping others in distress
- Able to speak, read and understand English effectively
At the end of the course the trainees will be able to:
- Recognize symptoms of mental health problems
- Provide initial support to those experiencing mental distress
- Provide active listening to individuals who are experiencing mental distress
- Incorporate the concept of Problem Definition-Attempted Solution-Desired Goals-Intervention (P.A.D.I) model into active listening and question skills.
The course is a classroom-based training with lectures, hands-on and role play activities.
The training syllabus and assessment guidelines are developed by Singapore Emergency Responder Academy (SERA).
Module 1: Introduction to Mental Health
- Overview of Mental Health Issues in Singapore
- Busting the common myths and misconception about mental illness
- Identifying stress and burnout
- Provide self-care
Module 2: Major Depressive Disorder
- Identify the causes and symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder
- Identify the treatment and resources for Major Depressive Disorder
Module 3: Anxiety Disorders
- Identify the causes and symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
- Provide initial help to individuals with panic attacks
- Identify the treatment and resources for Anxiety Disorder
Module 4: Mood Disorders
- Identify the causes and symptoms of Mood Disorders
- Identify the treatment and resources for Mood Disorders
Module 5: Introduction to Active Listening
- Mastering the Art of Non-verbal communication skills – S.O.L.E.R.
- Mastering the Skills of Active Listening
Module 6: Introduction to PADI Model
- Identify the concepts of the Problem Definition-Attempted Solution-Desired Goals-Intervention (P.A.D.I) model
- Structure a conversation using PADI Model
- Group activities, case scenarios and role play
- Trainers for this course have counselling or psychology experience and training
- Main trainers hold a minimum education qualification of a Master of Counselling / Master of Psychology